Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Tethereal runs out of memory...

From: Cyber Terrorist <cybertet@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:08:08 +0530
Hi,

I am writing an application that takes the decoded output of tethereal and processes it. When I run the this for a log time of about 1 day, the memory usage of tethereal grows drastically - to about 1 GB and the machine becomes unusable. I tried some options that have been suggested in the list like, disabling unwanted protocols. I even tried this, but still the same result. Any suggestion to avoid this problem..

I use a Ethereal 10.10 compiled on my Red hat Linux box. The command that I use for tethereal is:

tethereal -V -l -R "rtcp || sip" -o rtcp.show_roundtrip_calculation:false

In the disabled_protos file, I have provided entries for all protocols except rtcp, sip and udp.

Stepen Regan.