Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] sequential numbering of capture files

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 18:20:22 +0200
Matthew Hinton wrote:

>When setting up a capture, there's the different options in Ethereal to have
>it stop capturing with respect to time or filesize.  Is there a way to have
>Ethereal make capture files in a sequential order?
>For example, to have filenames of:
>timestamp1_capture
>timestamp2_capture
>timestamp3_capture
>
>Where timestamp1 is when I start capturing and timestamp2 is 5 minutes
>later.  Timestamp3 is 5 minutes after timestamp2.  This process would
>continue until I manually stopped it.

Have a look at the User's Guide:
http://www.ethereal.com/docs/user-guide/ChCapCaptureOptions.html

You will use multiple files (without ring buffer).

You'll have to disable "Update list of packets in real time" first.

However, the timestamps will be appended, not prepended, so filenames
will be:

capture_timestamp1
capture_timestamp2

Regards, ULFL