Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] How can Ethereal know that my network is congested

From: "Ronald Prague" <rprague@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 09:52:37 -0700

My friend, there are so many ways to answer that question, my head is ready to explode.

What kind of “ISP”?

What kind of uplink bandwidth do you have?

How many customers?

Where do you think the “congestion” may be?

Ethereal is a great tool for realtime troubleshooting and data mining, but its not the best tool for measuring data over long periods of time or doing trending and history for you.  If you think you’re having uplink congestion, I strongly recommend you try out one of the great RRDTOOL based suites like cacti, nmis or nagios.

Give us a little more useful information and someone will be able to help, but my assumption is that you need monitoring, not packet capturing.

Sincerely,

Ronald Prague