Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Solved: 78 percent of ARP packets on the network

From: "Erick Perez - BANSOFT" <eperez@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 20:25:18 -0500
Well, it turns out that the customer had 4 lucent switches (SRC adn DST were
matched to MACs)that are somehow screwed up and do broadcast at 1 sec
intervals. Also we found some strange worm/trojan/virus that was doing ARPs
at 2-3 sec in 52 windows xp machines but the funny thing is that they kept
asking each other way too fast.
example:
windows xp(139.60.1.5)-->Who has 139.60.1.7
windowx xp(139.60.1.7)--> response to 139.60.1.5
windows xp(139.60.1.7)-->Who has 139.60.1.5
windowx xp(139.60.1.5)--> response to 139.60.1.7

and this was going and going and going EVERY second for all the 52
computers. This definitely is not normal and we found some weird program
listening(??) on port 9876 on every machine. Maybe a bug in this
worm/trojan/whatever caused it to arp without learning the response.

since the customer has no good policy about internet usage, the users are
able to donwload all they want. kazaa, overnet, edonkey, spywares,adwares,
etc were found to be running (im not blaming the p2p software, maybe
something sneaked in using the p2p connection).

the solution, since we are *not* AV people, was to do a clean install on all
machines and getr rid of all the garbage. One of the machines was even found
to be a open smtp relay (by means of a RAT) receiving a smtp message by
listening in tcp 2525 as well as a mailing list, and then sending it to
thousands of users.

So at the end, ARP was not the only culprit. But thanks to ethereal we
quickly found what is was.

They had a PIX firewall but it was completely open (just doing NATing) and
the logs showed management connections from the outside as well as forwarded
ports.

what about the netadmins? what for? this is a self-healing 200 computer
network... ;)
Firewall...what firewall? hehe.

thanks to all and thanks to ethereal.

Erick