Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] 0.10.4 hangs if iSCSI/Follow TCP stream

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 00:55:59 -0700
On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 08:56:02AM -0400, Eddy Quicksall wrote:
> I captured an iSCSI session using the iSCSI filter.
>
> I picked one of the PDUs, right clicked and selected Follow TCP Stream.
>
> That looked OK but when I did a left click on one of the lines, it hung then
> put up the hour glass and never came back.

There's probably something in that particular capture that causes that
problem - it didn't happen for me with an iSCSI capture I have here.

There's probably a file with a name beginning with "ether" in...

> I'm using XP professional

...C:\tmp.  Try reading that file in Ethereal, and see whether the same
hang happens.  If so, you might want to send us a copy of that file, so
we can look at it (although it might contain data that you wouldn't want
to send out).

> and WinPCAP 3.0. The WinPCAP was already installed
> because I was upgrading from an earlier Ethereal.

By the time the capture is finished, WinPcap is no longer involved, so
that's probably not an issue.

> I uninstalled (via the
> control panel) the older Ethereal first. I did not re-boot my system after
> installing Ethereal (there seemed to be no need since there was no message
> displayed).

Ethereal doesn't require a reboot after installation (there's nothing in
it to require a reboot).