Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] Malformed RTCP packet

From: Biot Olivier <Olivier.Biot@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 11:21:29 +0200
Hi Frédéric,

When I read the capture file you sent, Ethereal displays a pop-up with the
following text:

	"The capture file appears to have been cut short in the middle of a
packet"

The UDP checksum is also incorrect, so maybe something happened to your
capture file (did you transfer it in ASCII mode from a UNIX server to your
PC?).

When I choose "decode as" and choose RTCP then the packet dissection shows
me that the 2nd chunk of the 2nd RTCP entity within the packet in the
capture expects a value with length 93 bytes, however the remaining data in
the packet is only 14 bytes (same size as the data portion of the 1st
chunk). The dissector attempts at reading the expected 93 bytes however it
will reach the end of the packet after 14 bytes and this will result in a
"Malformed packet" entry in the protocol tree.

So either your packet has been truncated or incorrectly transferred from one
system to your PC, or the RTCP implementation you're testing has a bug.
Maybe this traffic is not RTCP at all, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Regards,

Olivier