Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] ANNOUNCE: WinPcap 3.1 beta2 has been released

From: "Gianluca Varenni" <varenni@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 17:43:31 +0200
The beta2 of WinPcap 3.1 is available from today in the download section of
the WinPcap site.

WinPcap 3.1 beta2 is a minor update, that fixes a number of bugs that were
present in the first beta.
There's a new feature, too: under 2000/XP/2003 we have added a new fake
NdisWan adapter, useful to capture LCP/NCP PPP packet, for example. This
adapter is always listed (if you have enough privileges), even if you don't
have any PPP/VPN/... connection established. Please note that this feature
is experimental, and that we will be glad to hear comments from people that
use it.

CHANGELOG
=========

- Added some code to show a fake NdisWan adapter, useful to capture LCP/NCP
  packets. This adapter is always listed on 2000/XP/2003 (if you have enough
  privileges), even if you don't have any PPP/VPN/... connection
  established.

- Added a check in the installer, so that the installation fails if you
  don't have administrator privileges.

- Added a check so that NdisWan adapters  (PPP, VPN, ...) are listed only if
  you can capture from them.

- Added a new sample program, which gets the MAC address of an interface
  using packet.dll

- Modified the access to the global list of adapters in packet.dll under
  NT4/2000/XP/2003. Now packet.dll should be thread-safe.

- Bug fixing:
  + fixed some resource leaks in the remote capture daemon (rpcapd).
  + fixed a couple of resource leaks in packet.dll.
  + fixed some meaningless last error messages set by PacketOpenAdapter
    (e.g. "The operation completed successfully").
  + fixed a shortcoming in pcap_findalldevs, by which the adapters where not
    listed if they couldn't fit into a 8kB buffer.
  + fixed a memory leak in pcap_lookupdev.
  + fixed some bugs related to adapters listing:
    * some adapters were not listed, especially if some registry keys are
      messed up.
    * in some situations the listing failed with the message "Attempt to
      release a mutex not owned by caller"
    * if PacketGetAdapterNames() failed, it returned the wrong number of
      needed bytes for the input buffer.
  + fixed a buffer overrun in npf.sys that caused crashes (BSODs) when
    there are too many adapters in the registry.
  + fixed a bug in npf.sys that caused blue screens (BSODs) when you try to
    send "jumbo" packets, i.e. packets bigger than the maximum frame size
    for the selected link type.
  + minor bug fixes.