Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] How can Ethereal decode HTTP automatically when HTTP is not

From: "Martin Regner" <martin.regner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 06:33:44 +0100
Guy Harris wrote:
>Not without modifying the source code to the HTTP dissector to have a
>preference that's a string containing a list of additional ports, and
>having the dissector parse that string and register Ethereal with those
>other ports.

Actually a good idea for the RTP dissector as well to be able to specify ranges of port numbers
e.g. put an option in Preferences.../Protocols/RTP
"Dissect for <Even/All> UDP portnumbers in the range(s): '5559,10230-10400,30000-30100'".

Currently I use a very simple plugin that hardcodes certain ranges of UDP ports and then I call the RTP
dissector from my plugin if the packet looks like RTP version 2.

This combined with the new way for non-heuristic dissectors to reject packets that doesn't look like RTP version 2, HTTP, ....
as described is the message below could be really useful.
http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-dev/200210/msg00077.html

Probably the best is to put an option for this as well, e.g. "Don't dissect misformed RTP v2 packets" since sometimes
you want also the misformed packets.

Regards,
  Martin