Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] ethereal for 802.11 orinoco over freebsd 4.5?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 11:40:55 -0800
On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 10:15:59AM -0800, Vinod wrote:
> i wanted to know whether i can use ethereal for my
> orinoco gold in freebsd 4.5?In the FAQ i found a
> mention only for linux for the orinoco card.

The reason why there is no mention of the Orinoco card is that there's
no support in the FreeBSD Orinoco driver, as far as I know, for running
the card in "monitor mode", so, while you should be able to capture
packets on that card, the *only* packets you'll be able to capture are
LLC packets (no management packets, such as beacons, or control
packets).  (I don't know whether the card can go into promiscuous mode
or not, or, if it can, whether the driver will put the card into
promiscuous mode.)

Even on *Linux* there's no guarantee that you can go into monitor mode;
the FAQ points to patches to support monitor mode, but it only works
with some versions of the Orinoco firmware - even the folks at
Wildpackets, developers of a commercial wireless sniffer for Windows,
haven't yet managed to make it work with some firmware versions:

	http://www.wildpackets.com/support/hardware/ap_lucent_driver