Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] help interpreting network captures

From: "Visser, Martin (Sydney)" <Martin.Visser@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 08:22:00 +1000
Title: Message
Unfortunately Ethereal is really a decoder to help people that can't decode hex in their head to have a human-readable breakdown of packets. It really can't teach you by itself how communications protocols work. That said, you really need to work from the top down. Not having the trace in front of me but I would hope that most of the packets you refer to have something other than TCP or IP in the protocol field. As a guess I imagine that AS-REQ and TGS-REP will have "Kerberos" as the protocol (I did a search for TGS-REP on Google and guess what popped up). What you then need to do is find a reference for Kerberos (maybe the RFCs or other tutorials). Similarly SAM Logon is to do with NT Authentication (again from Google) presumably under the SMB or NetBios protocol. Again a reference on these protocols is useful.

Yes there are lots of general protocol and communications books out there but unfortunately they always by necessity have a cutoff as far as detail on specific protocols go. Fortunately most protocols follow a fairly standard request/response or advertisement sequence, and with sufficiently detailed decoding you can usually surmise what is going on. Anyway, good luck!

Martin Visser
Network Consultant

Technology & Infrastructure - Consulting & Integration
COMPAQ, part of the new HP

3 Richardson Place
North Ryde, Sydney NSW 2113, Australia
Phone (: +61-2-9022-1670    Mobile È: +61-411-254-513
   Fax 7: +61-2-9022-1800     E-mail + : martin.visserAThp.com