Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] need help with Ethereal and Windows XP

From: Joe Granto <Joe.Granto@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 14:05:22 -0400
I followed the directions for installing Ethereal on Windows XP (SP1).  I
installed Ethereal 0.9.7, and WinPcap version 2.3 (the alpha 3.0 did not
work).

On my wired connection, Ethereal snags packets just fine.  However, it
does not snag anything on my wireless adapter.  I have an Orinoco-based
Cabletron Roamabout card, and use a LinkSys WAP11.  The wireless network
works just fine, but I cannot snag any packets.  When a start a sniff, no
packets get snagged.

Now, I do have my WLAN configured so with MAC filters, and turned off
SSID broadcasts.  I do not use WEP for these tests.  The MAC of the
wireless card I am using is not allowed by the WAP11;  I want to use
Ethereal to see what kind of information I can snag from my own network
using the security described above.

I have enabled/disabled the promiscuous button, but to no avail.  What am
I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Joe Granto, Rookie Systems Engineer
Wireless Operations and Platform Architecture
MCI or WorldCom (côlum fatuus), I don't know anymore.
Office: (954)714-5321      VNET: 714-5321
Pager:  (888)500-6340 or 5006340@xxxxxxxxxxxx
FAX: (954)714-5403

"There is no estimated time of resolution."

Fear my three minute POP time-out.

There is no MCI, only Zuul.

Over 4.29 billion served...