Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] hardware interface

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 11:20:19 -0700
On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 10:51:31AM -0400, John.Yiu@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> 1. It appears that Ethereal can monitor a T1 PRI line, operating with Q.SIG
> ECMA-142/143 standard, please confirm.

The only things Ethereal can monitor are devices that act as network
devices on the OS on which you're running Ethereal, as Ethereal relies
on the libpcap/WinPcap library to do the actual capturing, and libpcap
and WinPcap use mechanisms in the OS's networking stack.

As such, you'll probably only be able to monitor the line if you're
running some form of networking (e.g. PPP or X.25) over the ECMA-142
unrestricted 8 kHz structured bearer service category, and that'd
probably only work with PPP on most OSes.

It also means you might nto be able to see the ECMA-143 stuff at all - I
suspect that on ISDN-based networking interfaces on most OSes (which
would probably be using PPP), you don't get to see the D-channel
signalling stuff (you can see that with isdn4bsd's i4btrace, but not
directly by capturing with Ethereal), so the same would probably be true
of PPP interfaces over ECMA-142.

> 2. Can Ethereal supports Qsig ISO 11752 11754 protocol on a T1 PRI line? If
> so, under which protocol selection is named in the Ethereal documentation.

ISO Standard 11752:2000 is "Flexible cellular polymeric materials --
Moulded and extruded sponge or expanded cellular rubber products --
Compressibility test on finished parts", and ISO Standard 11754:1994 is
"Space data and information transfer systems -- Telemetry channel
coding"; the first is clearly not something that gets sent over a T1
line, and the latter probably isn't what you're thinking of, so what
alternative interpretation of "ISO 11752 11754" should I use?