Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Token Ring Promiscuous lockup

Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 16:43:07 +0200
Hi there

I just installed Ethereal which was included with Red Hat 8.0.  I am using
a 3Com TokenLink Velocity XL (with the 3c359 kernel module).
When I fire up Ethereal and start capturing (without any special filters or
options) the application locks up the system (X Freezes) and nothing works
any more: cold reset required.
I noticed that when I manually put the NIC in promiscuous mode using
ifconfig, I get a lot of kernel messages and after a certain time the
system crashes as well.
What could be causing this?

Regards

Tom

"e-mail disclaimer:
privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by
return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorised
use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly
prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change. We shall
not be responsible nor liable for the proper and complete transmission of
the information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its
receipt or damage to your system. We do not guarantee that the integrity of
this communication has been maintained nor that this communication is free
of viruses, interceptions or interference."