Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal with Orinoco?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 20:00:38 -0800 (PST)
>       I have installed Ethereal(windows NT version)
> and it works fine on wired networks. When I install it
> on a laptop having Orinoco silver card, then I run
> into problems. I don't even see the beacon packets
> sent from the Access Point (RG-1000). When I point my
> browser to a URL, then I can see only the incoming
> packets (no outgoing packets are visible). When
> another client in the same wireless LAN requests a web
> page, those packets are also invisible. I did click
> the option of setting it in promiscuous mode.

This is almost certainly either a WinPcap issue or a driver issue.  Try
running WinDump:

	http://netgroup-serv.polito.it/windump/

and see if you have similar problems.

If so, send mail to

	windump@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

about it.

Note that WinPcap might not put the card, or its driver, into a "raw
mode" where you see raw 802.11 packets; unless it does, you're unlikely
to see beacon packets or any 802.11 packets other than data packets.
(The latest 2.4[.x] Linux kernel has, I think, a driver for Cisco
Aironet cards that allow you to run a command to put the card into that
sort of "raw mode", and Doug Ambrisko has, as I remember, a version of
the FreeBSD Aironet driver that lets you do that, but I don't know what
facilities there are for doing that on NT, regardless of the wireless
card you have.)

Note also that only the current CVS version of libpcap, and the 0.7
betas of libpcap, support raw 802.11, so WinPcap is unlikely to support
it until a release comes out that's based on 0.7 (the next release will
be based on 0.6.2.)

That shouldn't affect data packets, though, although it will probably
mean you won't see anything other than data packets.