Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] No more suid?

From: aferen@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Andrew C. Feren)
Date: 24 Oct 2001 13:25:35 -0400
"John J. LeMay Jr." <jlemay@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> Looks like this is a gtk+ thing, but I'm no developer and I can't imagine I'm
> the only one here that used to chmod 4755 after installing Ethereal so that I
> could run it as a normal user.

It is a gtk+ thing.

>From the FAQ (http://www.gtk.org/faq/#AEN391)

        4.2. How do I write security sensitive/SUID/SGID programs with
        GTK+?  Is GTK+ secure? What's this GTK_MODULES security hole I
        heard about?  How do I write security sensitive/SUID/SGID
        programs with GTK+? Is GTK+ secure? What's this GTK_MODULES
        security hole I heard about? The short answer to this question
        is: Don't write SUID/SGID programs with GTK+ For a more
        thorough explanation of the GTK+ Developers position on this
        issue see http://www.gtk.org/setuid.html.

> Does anyone have a workaround simple enough for someone like me to use? I
> really don't want to su everytime I want to sniff a bit.

Use gtk+-1.2.8 which doesn't make the su check.