Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] Slow packet capture from file

From: Chris Robertson <Chris.Robertson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 19:18:22 -0700
Ok, the process was to run a tcpdump and capture that to a file (ie tcpdump
> /tmp/tcpdump.file) on one machine, on a second machine run snoop -v -o
/tmp/snoop.file.  Ftp the second file to the original machine, cat
tcpdump.file > capture.tmp; cat snoop.file >> capture.tmp.  Fire up
Ethereal, start the capture from (ie ctrl-K) /tmp/capture.tmp.  Note- when I
stoped the capture/read process I got an error message saying I had a
corrupt capture file, this is new and I assume do to the snoop -v input.  I
started it up again with just the tcpdump file (all other options the same)
and got roughly the same speed (360 packets in 120 seconds).

Attached is the strace file.

Thanks,
Chris