Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] ethereal and windows terminal server

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 11:14:30 -0700 (PDT)
> I am trying to use the etheraeal tool remotely on Windows 2000 machines
> with terminal server application.  Termianl server only supports up to 256
> colors and apparently the application requires more.  Is there a fix or
> solution for this problem?

No.

This is a Win32 GTK+ limitation, and applies to any application using
GTK+ on Windows, not just to Ethereal.  You'd have to ask the maintainer
of the Win32 port of GTK+ to lift that restriction:

	http://user.sgic.fi/~tml/gimp/win32/

"256-colour mode doesn't work, and GIMP will not start if you try.  Use
at least HiColor (thousands of colours, 16-bit colours).  (Stick to
Paintbrush if you feel like complaining about that.) TrueColor (millions
of colours, 24- or 32-bit colours) is a must for serious work, of
course."

I don't know whether it's intrinsic to the way GTK+ works, or if he
threw it in because the GIMP couldn't handle 256-color mode.  If the
former, it may not get fixed for a while, if ever; if the latter, you
*might* be able to convince him to move the check to the GIMP.