Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] USING MODEM WITH ETHEREAL

From: aferen@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Andrew C. Feren)
Date: 12 Oct 2001 11:27:47 -0400
"Jannis Kafkoulas" <kajannis@xxxxxx> writes:

> aferen@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Andrew C. Feren) schrieb am 28.09.01:
> > Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > > Only if you're running SLIP or PPP over the modem line, i.e. if you're
> > > using it for networking - and then it'll work only if the packet capture
> > > mechanism on your machine supports capturing on SLIP or PPP links.  (For
> > > example, WinPcap on Windows NT/2000 doesn't support it.)
> >
> > Are you sure about that?  I have done a capture with Ethereal, using
> > WinPcap, on NT, on a modem.  Either that or I was halucinating badly
> > that night.
> >
> > Can't speak for 2000 though.

[ snip ]

> Andrew,
>
> That's what I thought too some weeks ago but I
> remembered that I was using Win98 just before NT.
> It works with Win98 but not with NT. That's for sure.
> Are you sure yet you were using NT when it worked?

Sorry for the long delay, I've been kind of busy. I finally had a
chance to play with this yesterday.

I was able to do a capture with Ethereal 0.8.17 running on NT.
HOWEVER, closer inspection revealed that this should probably not be
deemed as "working".  Lots of strange things happened (for example I
couldn't establish new TCP connections) until I stopped the capture.

0.8.18 and 0.8.19 simply failed to work at all.

--
-Andrew Feren
 Cetacean Networks, Inc.