Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Memory Leak?

From: "Bernard, Kurt A." <KABERNARD@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 14:25:16 -0500
Title: Memory Leak?

FYI:

I am using tethereal-0.8.19 with WinPcap 2.1 on Windows NT 4.0 sp6.

The boss wanted to know how much IM traffic was going in and out of our net daily, so I started up an instance of tethereal from a cmd window.

The command line I start tethereal with is "tethereal -n -l -R aim|".  I used -R aim because my understanding is that it will use AIM server addresses to determine if the traffic is AIM or not.   (hope that is true)

I have ethereal columns set to spit out the ports and the packet size which I pipe to perl script that tallies up the tfc amounts using a perl script.

Well, tethereal runs and the tethereal image itself continuously grows in memory size until the system runs out of memory.