Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] What version of Glib with Win32?

From: "Greg Morris" <gmorris@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 13:05:50 -0600
The Windows port of GTK 2.x isn't fully cooked yet. At least I couldn't get it to work. Has anyone successfully built on Windows with GTK 2.x?

Greg

On Friday, August 29, 2003, at 6:25 AM, Lars Ruoff wrote:

> In "Requirements For Compiling", on the Ethereal webpage is said that
> Ethereal is only garantueed to compile and link with glib 1.2,
> but on the Win32 development download pages, glib 2.2.1 is proposed for
> download.
> So what is the official guideline on that?

The official guideline right now is "the requirements for compiling
aren't up-to-date and haven't been for a while". :-)

There's been GTK 2.x support for a while, so GLib 2.x support's been
available for a while as well.

On UNIX-flavored systems, GLib 1.2[.x]/GTK+ 1.2[.x] should work, as
should GLib 2.x/GTK+ 2.x.

On Windows, the old GLib 1.2 (or was it 1.3?)/GTK+ 1.3 combination that
we used to use should still work, as should the GLib 2.x/GTK+ 1.3[.x]
combination from the GTK+-for-Windows site (that's what we're currently
shipping with) and, probably, the GLib 2.x/GTK+ 2.x combination from
there as well.

> Or is there no Glib 1.2 for Win32? (don't fint it on the web)

I don't think Tor Lillqvist (the person who did the Win32 ports of
GLib, GTK+, and the GIMP) is keeping it around any more.  I don't know
if anybody's kept that old version around.