Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] What version of Glib with Win32?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:59:05 -0700

On Friday, August 29, 2003, at 6:25 AM, Lars Ruoff wrote:

In "Requirements For Compiling", on the Ethereal webpage is said that
Ethereal is only garantueed to compile and link with glib 1.2,
but on the Win32 development download pages, glib 2.2.1 is proposed for
download.
So what is the official guideline on that?

The official guideline right now is "the requirements for compiling aren't up-to-date and haven't been for a while". :-)

There's been GTK 2.x support for a while, so GLib 2.x support's been available for a while as well.

On UNIX-flavored systems, GLib 1.2[.x]/GTK+ 1.2[.x] should work, as should GLib 2.x/GTK+ 2.x.

On Windows, the old GLib 1.2 (or was it 1.3?)/GTK+ 1.3 combination that we used to use should still work, as should the GLib 2.x/GTK+ 1.3[.x] combination from the GTK+-for-Windows site (that's what we're currently shipping with) and, probably, the GLib 2.x/GTK+ 2.x combination from there as well.

Or is there no Glib 1.2 for Win32? (don't fint it on the web)

I don't think Tor Lillqvist (the person who did the Win32 ports of GLib, GTK+, and the GIMP) is keeping it around any more. I don't know if anybody's kept that old version around.