Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] new release?

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 14:59:19 -0500 (CDT)
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, Ronnie Sahlberg wrote:

> Is it time for a new release soon?
>
> We do have quite a few new protocols right now, including a working h.323
> dissector.
> The one in .14 only includes h245 and clashes with the h323 plugin so h323
> people
> has to use either cvs or .13

Some significant changes have been introduced since 0.9.14 such as
endpoint talkers, the "contains" operator, updates to "find in frame" and
color filters, and others.  Have we reached a point at which the code base
is stable enough for a release?  If so, let's plan on a release next week,
around the 3rd or the 5th.

Since a lot of functionality has been added recently it's probably time
to bring up the "what's left for 1.0?" discussion again.  What features
are currently unimplimented that you'd like to see in the 1.0 release?
I'd hope to have:

  - Some sort of privilege separation between the capture code and display
    code

  - Native look and feel for Windows, MacOS X, and KDE

  - Run-time configuration of protocol registration

  - Cleanup of the user interface