Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Updated find dialog

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:02:43 -0700

On Thursday, August 28, 2003, at 9:03 AM, Greg Morris wrote:

This patch adds tooltips to the find dialog window. It also adds frames around each of the controls to cleanup the view. Please give me your comments.

This was a problem with the previous version as well, but the tooltip for "Data" says "Search for string in the Data (bottom) window". I presume that searching for a string in the Decode window searches for a frame where the text in question appears in the text displayed in the items in the decoded protocol tree, and searching for it in the Summary window searches for a frame where the text in question appears in the text in the columns for the row for that frame; however, if you search for it in the Data window, does that search for it in the text in that window, or in the raw packet data? I suspect it actually searches in the raw packet data, in which case it might be a bit confusing to say it searches in the Data window - perhaps that radio button set should say

	| <> Frame data  <> Decoded packet  <> Packet list |

or something such as that, with the tooltip for "Packet data" saying "Search for string in the raw frame data", the tooltip for "Decoded packet" saying "Search for string in the decoded packet display (middle pane)", and the tooltip for "Packet list" saying "Search for string in the Info column in the list of packets (top pane)". ("Pane" is probably better than "window", as they aren't windows in the window-system sense, i.e. separate windows that can be dragged around separately.)

If you select "Hex", the "Search in" setting should perhaps be forced to "Frame data", to emphasize that it'll search the raw packet data. I'm not sure whether it'd make more sense to leave it alone, force it to "Frame data", or force it to "Decoded packet" if you select "Display filter".

"i.e." should be "e.g." in the "Find syntax" tooltips - "i.e.", at least as I understand it, would imply "this is what you'd have to type", while "e.g." would imply "this is an example of what you'd type".

The tooltips on the "Direction" items are probably not necessary.

Perhaps the "Filter:" button should be grayed-out if "Display filter" isn't selected?

In general, I'd capitalize only the first word of a phrase in the dialog box.