Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Can't compile Ethereal from current CVS on Windows.

From: "Martin Regner" <martin.regner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 06:41:39 +0200
Guy Harris wrote:
>On Monday, August 25, 2003, at 3:12 PM, Andreas Sikkema wrote:
>> Well, what I meant to say was, why add interfaces to such high-level
>> protocols to the plugin interface?
>
>Presumably Tomas Kukosa (who contributed the patch to add them) will
>respond at some point, indicating why he wanted them.

I think I know why he wants them. Tomas has made it possible to dissect NonStandardParameter stuff (NonStandardIdentifier/h221NonStandard respectivelly NonStandardIdentifier/object) from a plugin.

A plugin can then register e.g. as:
dissector_add("h245.nsp.h221", 0xb500534c, netmeeting_h221nonstd_handle);
or
dissector_add("h245.nsp.object",ADLER_MYOWN_NONSTD_OBJ,myown_nonstd_handle);

Then it might be useful to use e.g. dissect_h225_TransportAddress from the plugin.

Actually I started to make some experiments with making a plugin for certain h221NonStandard data yesterday and what I remember the ASN.1 specification for that specific data was using both TransportAddress and NonStandardParameter (i.e. including
another NonStandardParameter in the h221NonStandard data) so I probably want to use them also - when I have time to continue with my experiments.