Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Re: Ethereal Gripe

From: Tomas Kukosa <tomas.kukosa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 07:09:46 +0200
Another view of question "What is the goal?".
A tool (and description language) to create dissector during
compile-time or to have a description language and use it in runtime?
I'm thinking about NetPDL
(http://analyzer.polito.it/30alpha/NetPDL/index.htm) using.
I.e. creation of packet-netpdl dissector which would use NetPDL engine.
The goal is not to be able to support all Ethereal features or to
dissect whichever protocol.
The gould would be to offer possibility of creating "simple" dissector
without Ethereal recompiling (i.e. without development environment and
dissector programming knowledge).

 Tom