Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Re: Ethereal Gripe

From: John McDermott <jjm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 14:12:38 -0600

Richard Sharpe wrote:
For the other 5%, I wish:
   - I could cut and paste (big PITA)

Groan, yes, I know. I tried to do this recently and couldn't.

I presume you mean from one of the panes to, say, Word or Kwrite.

   - I could save as text

Hmmm, hadn't thought of this need. This will need some discussion as to what needs to be saved.

This one can be done now. Right click on a packet and select Print (for the whole shebang) or Print Packet (for just one packet). Choose to print to a file and, voila! you have it.

   - I could easily drop in new protocol specifications without writing
code
- A programming language, like maybe Python, in Ethereal that can do dissections easier than writing C code.

I like perl better :-)

  - A protocol specification language that you pass through a tool to
generate C code
- A pointy-clicky thing that allows you to select ranges of bytes and specify what they are and allowed values etc.

This might be tricky with tethereal. It would be nice to have a gui-based protocol analyzer builder, though, even if it were simple. It could generate the "protocol specification language", C or perl/python. I was thinking of a sort of generic, basic (not BASIC) sort of tool so that if someone wanted to one could build a quick and dirty decoder.

All require lots of work and the horde of mongrels are afraid of work :-)

--john

--
John McDermott
Writer, Educator, Consultant