Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Resend: Another new feature for Ethereal.

From: "Greg Morris" <GMORRIS@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 11:05:52 -0600
Ian,

I'm glad you like it... I spent a lot of time working on these. I wasn't real familiar with GTK or the internal workings of Ethereal so it took quite a bit of investigation to get these to functionally work. There may be better or cleaner ways of doing the same things but most of the code was aquired from other components in Ethereal and then modified to do the work. I have made some additional changes with the progress bar dialogs for this feature and plan to upload them later today. I appreciate the comments. I also look forward to seeing Ronnie's top talkers.

Also the find window is now quite cluttered. I would like to clean it up but need some input from other developers/users on how to best present the dialog. I was thinking that it would be better to have the options in the drop down box to exclude the unicode options and just provide a checkbox/pushbutton to enable/disable unicode searches. Much like the case insensitive switch. Then the drop down box would just be able to select ASCII/EBCDIC/etc...

Then the source optons hex/decode/summary should be enclosed in a box marked as Source Window. Also the filter button only be available when the filter radio button is selected (as you suggested). Finally, all of the search types of filter/hex/string be enclosed in a box labled as Search Type. What do you think?

So, Pardon the text representation.

|Find:                                                 |
|________________________________|
|     Filter: XXXXXXXXXX                      |
|________________________________|
|Search Type                                      |
|    Filter           Hex           String         |
|________________________________|
|Source Window                                 |
|   Summary      Decode      Hex           |
|________________________________|
|String Type                                       |
|                      ASCII                          |
|________________________________|
|                            Ok          Cancel     |

Greg

>>> Ian Schorr <spamcontrol2@xxxxxxxxxxx> 8/12/2003 10:40:39 AM >>>
These are great, Greg.

I checked both this and the find patch out last night.  The new find
functionality is great, and works exactly as I'd hoped.  Very useful indeed.

It'd be great to see both these host statistics and Ronnie's Top Talkers
list feature both implemented in Ethereal - I'd love to be able to see
both information by host and by conversation.

Ian