Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Another new feature for Ethereal.

From: "Greg Morris" <GMORRIS@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 14:37:18 -0600
Martin,

I hadn't thought of UDP. I typically work with TCP and IPX and just filter on MAC's to get what I need. This was to make it easier for my end users. I can see the benifit for UDP and it wouldn't take much work to add it. If and when it gets ported to CVS then I will look at adding UDP as well.

Greg

Greg Morris wrote:
> Many users of Sniffer like the Matrix option - Which allows you to see
> the conversations between different layers. I have been working on a new
> Tools Menu option called "Show Conversations". I know it is really not
> the correct technical term at each layer of the OSI but it should be
> close enough to allow users to identify it's purpose.

> There are 4 options.

> Conversations by MAC address - This is a table of the conversations
> between 2 unique MAC addresses.

> Conversations by IP address - This is a table of the conversations
> between 2 unique IP addresses.

> Conversations by TCP address - This is a table of the conversations
> between 2 unique IP/Ports.

> Conversations by IPX address - This is a table of the conversations
> between 2 unique net/node/sockets.

Looks very nice, but why not also UDP?
I'm using the "-z io,users,tcpip" and "-z io,users,udpip" a lot nowadays (tethereal only), and I have been thinking of trying to port it to Ethereal and add filtering buttons - but I had problems with understanding GTK.

Actually it could be good to see the "duration" (i�n seconds) of the conversion as well. I have planned to send i a patch to add some more stuff to the "-z io,users" output (First frame number, Last frame number, relative time of first packet and duration in seconds) that I found very useful when looking at certain problems.

Regards,
Martin