Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Capture-start option returns recv_ack error on AIX V5

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 14:14:33 -0700 (PDT)
> I've compiled ethereal for AIX V5.  It works fine as far as far as reading
> capture files of iptrace.  But when I try to use the Capture - Start option
> for tr0 interface, it returns the error :
>
> The capture session could not be initiated (recv_ack: bind error 0x1).Please
> check to make sure you have sufficient permissions and that you have the
> proper interface or pipe specified.

What happens if you download tcpdump from tcpdump.org, compile it, and
run it?  (Make sure it's linked with the same version of libpcap that
Ethereal is - and don't use the tcpdump that comes with AIX.)

If you get "recv_ack: bind error 0x1", then this is a problem with
libpcap; send mail to "tcpdump-workers@xxxxxxxxxxx".