Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Getting an ASSERT error with Ethereal 0.8.18.

From: "M.C. van den Bovenkamp" <bovenkamp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 10:24:58 +0200
L.S.

I'm using Ethereal for a while now, and loving it. But I'm having a
problem with the latest version. It blows up with the following ASSERT
error on some frames:

** ERROR **: file proto.c: line 998 (proto_tree_add_string): assertion
failed: (hfinfo->type == FT_STRING)
aborting...
Aborted

One of the frames that makes it do so is attached.

Going back through the daily CVS snapshots tells me that the latest
version that does *not* have the problem is the snapshot of the 18th of
April, ethereal-2001-04-18.tar.gz.

Pertinent info:

Ethereal compiled from source.

OS: Linux (Slackware-current) kernel 2.2.18.

'About Ethereal' says: ethereal 0.8.18, compiled with GTK+ 1.2.9, with
GLib 1.2.9, with libpcap 0.5, with libz 1.1.3, without SNMP.

Just tested it: tethereal blows up with the same error (which is
probably to be expected).

		Regards,

--
                        Marco van den Bovenkamp.