Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Were to get Win32 Source Code for (DEV C++ 4.0)

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 15:50:04 -0700
On Sat, May 19, 2001 at 03:39:39PM -0700, Rizwan Tahir wrote:
> where to find Source code of Ethereal
> which i can download and start my dev.

Go to

	http://www.ethereal.com/download.html#sources

and pick the mirror site nearest you; download it from there.

> second,
> is it compatible with Windows 2000 pro,

The binaries work fine on my W2K Professional machine at work; I suspect
that if I compiled them at work (I don't have a C compiler on the
machine at work), the resulting binaries would probably work as well.

> and will i be able to compile the
> current version without modification at the first place ?
> because dev c++ some time give me compatibility erros :(

What compatibility errors have you gotten?  I've been able to compile it
for quite a while on my home machine (running NT 4.0).

Note, however, that, in order to compile it, you'd need more than
Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 (5.0 may also work; I don't know about 4.0).
You'll also need a number of other third-party packages; the
README.win32 file, which can be read at

	http://www.ethereal.com/distribution/win32/win32-README.txt

describes what you'll need.

Note that you'll need at least some of those tools just to *unpack* the
source code, because it's distributed in "gzipped tarball" format, which
requires either GNU tar (which, as I remember, includes code to
decompress gzipped tarballs), or gzip/gunzip and tar, and you'd probably
need to install the Cygwin tools to get gzip/gunzip and GNU tar.