Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Building SNMP support inter Ethereal under RH 7.1?

From: Glen Turner <glen.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 16:42:04 +0930
Ron Flory wrote:

>  I vaguely seem to remember a previous email regarding Ethereal
> 'configure' script not being able to deal with the new RedHat x86 7.1
> distro- What became of that, and does anyone know of a work-around?
>
>  Most of the progress messages indicate things are cool, but the final
> 'configure' summary says "SNMP - NO".

I missed the conversation.  There appear to be two issues
with Red Hat 7.1 and Ethereal from CVS, both of which I have
encountered.

1) Some /usr/lib/libsnmp* symlinks may be broken
   on upgrade from Red Hat 7 to Red Hat 7.1.

   Fix:
   Reinstall libraries rather than upgrade them
      rpm -e ucd-snmp ucd-snmp-devel ucd-snmp-utils
      rpm -i ucd-snmp-4.2-12.i386.rpm ucd-snmp-utils-4.2-12.i386.rpm ucd-snmp-devel-4.2-12.i386.rpm
   where the ucd-snmp and ucd-snmp-utils RPMs are from the
   "operating system" disk and ucd-snmp-devel is from the
   "powertools" disk.

2) Ethereal's aclocal.m4 fails to find Red Hat 7.1 SSL library.
   The SSL library is used by libsnmp as shipped by Red Hat, thus
   the error messages about the SNMP library.

   Workaround:
   ./autogen.sh --with-ssl=/usr

--
 Glen Turner                                 Network Engineer
 (08) 8303 3936      Australian Academic and Research Network