Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] DNS lookups on decode

From: Andy Leigh <andy.leigh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 17:13:07 +0100
There are always a lot of enquiries about Ethereal's slow response on
completion of a capture, and these invariably turn out to be due to DNS
lookups. Matters are complicated by the use of Windows (which can go off to
NetBIOS and WINS if it doesn't get a response from a DNS server and is
consequently even slower). I notice that I always disable it by default. If
I want name decodes, I can always save the capture and reload with DNS on.

Might I therefore make two suggestions:
o	The default option for DNS (both for live capture and for decoding a
file) is *off* - a warning message indicate show that names won't be
resolved in this mode.
o	A second option should be available - use ethers only (which could
always be on)

Andy Leigh | Senior Planning Engineer, Strategic Network Development

BBC Technology | G20 | 16 Langham Street | London, W1A 1AA
T: +44 (0)20 776 50575    F: +44 (0)20 776 50557    M: +44 (0)7802 456097

http://www.bbctechnology.com

BBC, unless specifically stated.