Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] Anyone built with autoconf 2.49 and automake 1 .5?

From: "Neulinger, Nathan" <nneul@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 13:43:28 -0500
> 2.49?  The page at
>
> 	http://sources.redhat.com/autoconf/
>
> says the current version is 2.13 - did they release 37 different
> versions of autoconf while I wasn't watching?

> Similarly, the page at
>
> 	http://sources.redhat.com/automake/
>
> says the current version of automake is 1.4.

They are both development snapshots... but I wouldn't be surprised to see
them released in a few months. I've been trying to test various apps against
them to make sure everything doesn't break when they are release and people
start using them.

> > One I managed to solve - it doesn't like DISSECTOR_SOURCES and
> > ETHEREAL_COMMON_SOURCES, but lowercase versions of those are fine.
>
> Is that a documented requirement - documented back to automake 1.4, so
> that we shouldn't have been using uppercase versions - or is
> that just a
> bug in what I presume is a pre-release version?

It's generating a warning saying "invalid unused variable". Making them
lowercase works fine with 1.4 btw. I can't find any docs in Automake about
using your own variables in Makefile.am at all. It might be triggering on
the underscores specially or something.

> > The other - it appears to think that 'dnl' isn't valid.
> This I don't get
> > at all...
>
> Perhaps they're not running stuff through M4 any more; in any
> case, I'd
> count that as a bug as well, given that it worked in previous
> releases.

They are still using m4... not sure at all on the dnl thing. That's likely a
bug.

-- Nathan