Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireless toolbar in Wireshark 3.0

From: "Maynard, Chris" <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2019 20:17:22 +0000

OK, well either I’ve gone mad and the adapter never worked as I’ve previously reported, or something has changed such that it no longer works.  Trying to simply obtain the mode even fails now:

WlanHelper.exe "Foo" mode

Error: makeOIDRequest::My_PacketOpenAdapter error (to use this function, you need to check the "Support raw 802.11 traffic" option when installing Npcap)

Failure

I can say with certainty that I definitely enabled raw 802.11 support when installing npcap, so that can’t be the problem.  I tried reverting to earlier versions of npcap, 0.996 and 0.992 for example, but it still didn’t work.  I have since updated to Windows 10 1903 (10.0.18362 Build 18362) as well as the driver, which is now 20.10.10.2 released on May 12, 2019.  The same error occurrs, and in case you’re wondering, yes, I’m running the command from a command-prompt that was “Run as administrator”.

After some repeated tries, I did manage to get a “Success” from running this:

WlanHelper.exe GTKWireless mode managed

Success

… but I don’t believe it was actually successful because Wireshark (3.0.4 or master 3.1.1 (v3.1.1rc0-481-g9dc1b312726c)) doesn’t allow me to place the adapter into Monitor Mode through its GUI.  I had tried testing with npcap installed both with and without WinPcap compatibilty mode.

For now at least, it would seem that this network card doesn’t work, but I will update the list again, as well as https://secwiki.org/w/Npcap/WiFi_adapters if the situation changes.  At least I still have an AirPcap adapter to use … although I do still need to test that to be sure *that* still works.

- Chris