Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireless toolbar in Wireshark 3.0

From: Gordon Fyodor Lyon <gordon@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2019 10:03:47 -0700

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 8:58 AM Maynard, Chris via Wireshark-users <wireshark-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm not sure how up-to-date the https://secwiki.org/w/Npcap/WiFi_adapters page is.  For example, my Wireless network card is the "Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260" card and I've been able to capture WiFi traffic in monitor mode just fine using WlanHelper.exe, despite that page indicating that it doesn't work.  Of course my driver version is slightly newer than the one listed there, being 20.70.6.1 instead of 20.70.1.1, so perhaps that's the reason.  Or possibly it didn't work with older versions of npcap, so I'd recommend trying it with the latest available version, currently 0.9983 from https://nmap.org/npcap/.

Hi Chris.  That's great news!  We do try to keep that page up to date, but it depends on users letting us know what works (or doesn't) for them.  The page (https://secwiki.org/w/Npcap/WiFi_adapters) has simple instructions at the bottom for performing the necessary tests.  Then to report the results, you can either create a SecWiki account (https://secwiki.org/w/Special:RequestAccount) and edit the table directly, or just send me the answers to the 10 fields in the table and I'll enter them myself.  We hope this will encourage more vendors to fix their drivers to better support raw capture and Radiotap, while also steering users toward buying adapters which actually meet their needs.

So if anyone here has adapters not listed on that page, or if you are seeing different results with newer drivers or newer Npcap, please send a report.  Thanks!

Cheers,
Fyodor