Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] How to "unsort"

From: Perry Smith <pedzsan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 11:08:31 -0500
> On Mar 15, 2016, at 7:52 PM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Mar 15, 2016, at 5:15 PM, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 1:23 PM, Perry Smith <pedzsan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> I’m using Wireshark 2.0.1 on a Mac.  I really enjoy the new UI.
>>>
>>> I click on a column to sort the output by that column.  Is there a way to undo this?
>>>
>>> I know I can click on “No.” but that appears to be slightly different.  Any adjustment now makes a second pass ‘sorting by No.’ whereas before it did not need the second pass.
>>
>> That's the right way to do it.  When you haven't sorted on any particular column then the display is sorted by the (Frame) Number column.  By sorting by that column again you should be returning to the initial state.
>>
>> What do you mean when you say "any adjustment" leads to a "sorting by" pass?  What kind of adjustment?
>
> Changing a protocol preference, for example.  (Reproduced on a Very Large Capture I have.)
>
> I was curious how various applications implemented "go back to unsorted", assuming they did so at all, so I did some Web searching and didn't find anything obvious.  I'm not sure whether *any* toolkit with a
>
> It might be possible to special case "sort by number in ascending order" as "don't sort", but that might require some significant changes to the way the packet list works, perhaps with the "proxy model" stuff discussed in the thread containing this message:
>
> 	https://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/201506/msg00088.html

I’ve seen one application where each click cycles through “sort up”, “sort down”, and “sort off” (but I can’t recall where).  Wireshark already has “sort up” and “sort down” and cycles back to “sort up”.

The other thought is the menu that right click pops up, turn off sort could be there but that doesn’t seem like a good design.

I appreciate the reply.  Seems… for now at least, there isn’t a way.

Perry