Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Using Wireshark for a DSL "link no surf" problem

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 20:04:37 -0700
On Jun 17, 2014, at 7:10 PM, Kok-Yong Tan <ktan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In the diagnostic page of the DSL modem, it says that "ATM OAM segment ping" and "ATM OAM end to end ping" fails.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not an expert on this stuff beyond some knowledge of ATM and the way stuff gets transported over it.

I'm not sure what "layer 2" and "layer 3" mean in this context, but that error sounds as if it's way below the PPP-over-ATM or PPP-over-bridged-Ethernet-over-ATM or whatever sort of IP-layer stuff is supposed to go over the wire - that sounds like a problem with the ATM link.