Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Default interface in the "front page"?

From: Jim Aragon <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 09:41:46 -0700
On 4/8/2013 9:15 AM, Graham Bloice wrote:

As Jasper pointed out earlier in the thread, on Windows just choosing
the  first item ins't likely to be a good idea.  On my three machines to
hand (1 laptop, 2 desktops, all "dev" machines rather than normal users)
the laptop has a bluetooth adaptor listed first and one of the desktops
has an "Adaptor for generic dialup and VPN capture" whatever that is
(it's an old and very abused XP machine).

If there's more than one interface, I'd much prefer the user to have to
select one, rather than an automagic guess. I can just see the Ask
Wireshark questions; "I've got a capture file but it doesn't contain the
traffic I expected".  We'll still have the "Why can't I start a capture
questions" though.

Points well taken, and I withdraw the suggestion. I now concur that selecting the first interface is not a good idea.

Regards,

Jim