Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Default interface in the "front page"?

From: Jim Aragon <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 17:22:32 -0700
At 05:01 PM 4/7/2013, Guy Harris wrote:

>On the front page, should Wireshark either select an interface as the
>default, or select all of them by default?

If the user has not selected a default interface at Edit Preferences > Capture, I'd vote to have Wireshark select the first interface listed. I would not select all interfaces. I think single-interface capture is still more common, even on multiple interface systems.

>If it should do one of those, should it do that in the Capture ->
>Options window as well?

Yes. Let's be consistent.

>If it shouldn't do either of them, then, if no interfaces are
>selected, should it disable the "Start" toolbar button and Capture ->
>Start menu item, so that you have to select an interface in order to
>use those to start a capture (the experimental Qt version does that),
>or should it continue to allow them but pop up an error if none are selected?

If no interface is selected, then Start buttons--wherever found--should be grayed out. No sense letting the user select an item that we know in advance will not work and will only generate an error. Start buttons should also be grayed out if a default interface was selected, but the user subsequently unchecked all interfaces in Capture Options or Capture > Interfaces.

Jim