Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Analyzing tcpdump file differs from OSX to Windows

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 09:07:14 +0200
On 09/29/2010 02:38 AM, jACK cRASH wrote:
I am in a Networking class and my lab partner and I are both using wireshark to look at a tcpdump file created on a linux machine.

He is using Windows XP wireshark and I am using Snow Leopard Wireshark and today we were looking at the same file and wireshark was displaying the information for a pack differently between the two OSs, the time stamp was the same and the binary info at the bottom was the same.

Why is this.

Thank you for your time.

Jack

Hi,

Diff your configuration files and see what pops out. Differences will probably be in the areas you see differences in presentation. Also you should run stable releases, like 1.2.11, or 1.4.0. If you're running the development releases 1.5.0-SVN- better make sure the subversion revision numbers match. It may make a big difference too. Then there's the build configurations; the 32 and 64 bit versions aren't equipped equally.

Thanks,
Jaap