Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Sequence diagram generation from the Logs

From: Karthik Balaguru <karthikbalaguru79@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 15:21:35 +0530

On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 8:54 AM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Jan 1, 2010, at 7:18 PM, Karthik Balaguru wrote:

> Is there any free tool that help in generation of sequence diagrams that provide a visual trace of packet flow between nodes using the Wireshark(Ethereal) logs ?

There's a tool called "Wireshark", which has a "Statistics" menu with a "Flow Graph" item.  That might do what you want.

Thx for the info.
Cool !! I will check this option that comes along with Wireshark(Ethereal). Somehow, that got missed.

In the meantime, i came across another utility https://sourceforge.net/projects/callflow/
I checked the 'Callflow' utility, it seems to be a collection of awk and shell scripts that produce callflow sequence diagram from the captured logs of
ethereal(Wireshark) protocol analyzer.

I wonder the reason/need for this 'Callflow Sequence Diagram Generator ' utility if Wireshark(Ethereal) has support in its menu 'Statistics -> Flow Graph' option !!

Can you lemme know the unique features that are provided by 'Callflow' utility in comparison to the features offered by the 'Flow Graph' that comes
along with the Wireshark(Ethereal) protocol analyzer ?

Was callflow developed to overcome some of the limitations of the 'Flow Graph' feature provided by Wireshark(Ethereal) protocol analyzer  ?

Any ideas ?

Thx in advans,
Karthik Balaguru