Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Sniffing BitTorrent traffic?
From: "Phillips, Christopher M" <cmphil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 10:30:20 +0100
A good amount of modern clients encrypt their traffic to attempt to get
around deep packet inspection by isps etc.

I suggest you download utorrent and generate some traffic with and
without the encryption and compare.

I would also point out most trackers have strict rules about what client
software type and version are permitted to connect.
If you want a pure client to test with (with source code) try the
original python client.