Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] no capture interfaces displayed in wireshark

From: Chuck Crisler <charles.crisler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 21:49:43 -0400
Hello! I have used wireshark and pcap on Windows but this is my first
time on Linux. Initially I downloaded, configured, built and installed
the source. Then I used add/remove software (should have done that
first!). I also loaded libpcap-14:0.9.8-f.fc10 (redhat) and
libpcap-devel-14:0.9.8-3.fc10. When I start wireshark, I get the 1.2.0
version. However, if I click on capture/interface list, the list of
interfaces is empty. Yes, I do have a NIC and am connected to a
network. :-) I think pcap is NOT running. I have briefly looked at the
FAQs and docs and pcap man page but didn't see anything relevant to
start it (or even to verify if that is my problem). I would really
appreciate any help.

TIA!
Chuck