Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] no capture interfaces displayed in wireshark

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 07:15:07 +0200
Hi Chuck,

You'll need root like priviledges to be able to open the raw socket for packet capture. There are two ways to do this: Most common is to run Wireshark as root (through sudo or alike). This is actually least preferable solution since it's only dumpcap that needs elevated priviledges. The best way to do this is to configre the build with --enable-setuid- install, which builds dumpcap setuid root.

I don't know if this survives in RPM build, so you can always do that afterwards: # chmod +s dumpcap
You can try that with your current build as well to see if it works.

Thanx,
Jaap

Sent from my iPhone