Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Analyzing health links from Wireshark captures

From: Martin Visser <martinvisser99@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 14:55:09 +1000
Wireshark will not normally see frames that don't meet normal physical or data-link layer checks. However as you rightly point out missing frames will trigger retransmission at the network layer or above (depending on the protocol).

Errors occuring on the optical link are going to be best detected on the devices that are at the end of the link. Most enterprise-class equipment will have SNMP-retrievable counters for the various interfaces you are using. Polling these frequently should allow you to correlate the error counts you see there with those observed (through non-forwarded data and the effect it creates) in Wireshark.

Regards, Martin

MartinVisser99@xxxxxxxxx