Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark-users Digest, Vol 36, Issue 33

From: "noah davids" <ndav1@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 19:11:46 -0700
Thank you Martin,

I agree that some of the ARPs happen at 5 min intervals - which is the ARP cache timeout, but why are the rest occurring and why are there gaps, instead of at every 5 minute interval (I know that pings are sent every 5 minutes so that it is not an issue of no arp is necessary because there is no traffic).

Yes 10.20.1.1 is the default gateway. And no the route is not connected to 10.26.1.0/24. I agree I would not expect it to send a reply. But then again using arping I have sent ARPs using IP addresses from bogus networks and gotten replies from other devices. It appears that they just swap the IP addresses in the ARP packet, add in their own MAC address, and send the reply back to the Ethernet address without caring that technically the IP address is unreachable. Of course this device has every right to behave differently. Unfortunately I cannot test 10.20.1.1 that way.

There are 4 NICs, two are bonded to crate 10.20.1.39 and two are bonded to create 10.26.1.39. The individual NICs do not have an IP address. No clustering software.

Good idea unfortunately it is 00 12 83 01 02 03 which I believe is unicast

Noah Davids
Serendipity is a function of bandwidth