Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] 802.11 Monitor Mode Malformed Packets

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 11:55:23 -0700

On Apr 29, 2009, at 9:20 AM, Seoras Ray wrote:

I am trying to sniff wireless traffic on my wireless network and an running into an issue with malformed packets. When I am sniffing the interface in managed mode I see traffic coming through correctly with no problems, however when I switch to monitored mode almost everything comes through as a malformed packet.

"Malformed" where? Is the packet mostly OK, or does it show up as mangled from the beginning (or from the beginning of the 802.11 header, if there's a radio header before that)?