Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] How interpret I/O graphs for rate data?

From: ronnie sahlberg <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 11:30:28 +1100

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:22 AM, <rkruz@xxxxxxx> wrote:

OK. Thanks. That makes sense now.

=============

the summary page shows ave of 40 Mbps.
If I view the I/O graph set a 1s tick interval the average over 1s is about the same.

Thats is correct.

If I set the I/O graph tick interval to .1s and then average data over 1s the ave is about 4Mbps.

No, when you set the tick/sample interval to 0.1 second, then 4Mbit does NOT mean
4Mbit/second,   but rather it means 4Mbit/0.1s

If I set the I/O graph tick interval to .01s then the average is about 0.4 Mbps.

When you set the tick interval/sample interval to 0.01second then 0.4Mbit refers to
0.4Mbit/0.01s

How should I interpret the graphs under various intervals to get a good estimate of rate?

The graph shows how much data has been transferred  during each tick interval.
To translate it into X/second you would divide the number by the tick interval length.