Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] x64-bit Support

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 16:33:23 +0000
mv652@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,
I'm sorry, but the same problem with the release "wireshark-win32-1.1.3-SVN-27396.exe" on all x64 win-OS systems.  Installs fine, but when trying to start the application the error message below appears and it crashes.

In addition, there seems to be 2 minor bugs in Windows XP & 2003 32-bit:
1) when starting, there are a few application popup windows "Couldn't load module M:\Program Files\Wireshark\plugins\1.13-SVN-27396\..." - Built with this directory? (I've attached a screenshot in this mail, not sure if you'll receive it though).
2) Once I acknowledge the popups, the new main screen has a strange behaviour in that if I select "Open" and then cancel the window, I am unable to open any of the other entries (for example "Sample Captures, or User Guide) as when moving the mouse over these areas, they do not become 'selectable' and the original "Open" window opens up wherever I click - Hope that makes sense.

I believe that due to recent changes in the build, you now need the x86 (yes x86, Wireshark is a 32 bit app) MS Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributables installed.  They didn't come with my current up to date Vista Business 64 bit.  Until I installed them I had the same issue with all the plugin DLL's.  Try this link for the package: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a5c84275-3b97-4ab7-a40d-3802b2af5fc2&DisplayLang=en

I also confirmed the bug with the cancellation of the open dialog.  Can you report that to the dev list?

Apart from that svn27396 seems to work for me (i.e. I can make a capture) on Vista Business 64 bit.

--
Regards,

Graham Bloice